MedEd Ready 2018
The UAMS Center for Diversity Affairs invites incoming medical students to the one-week MedEd Ready program in the Summer of 2018.
MedEd Ready at a Glance
MedEd Ready offers opportunities to meet fellow students and faculty members prior to the start of formal coursework. The broad schedule consists of foundational lectures in basic science courses, selected gross anatomy laboratory sessions, and opportunities to practice learning methods and study approaches that can facilitate success in medical school. Instructors, student/peer facilitators, and participants will also have workshops to discuss campus life, test taking strategies, stress management and study methods in an informal environment.
MedEd Ready Key Features
This program is tailored for you to:
- Facilitate your transition to a full-time medical student
- Provide introductions to different strategies for teaching in classrooms and labs
- Demonstrate teaching technology and techniques available
- Foster strategic skills for successful studying, test-taking, and time-management
- Selected lectures in high-yield pre-clinical courses such as Biochemistry and Neuroscience
- Preview of Gross Anatomy lectures, laboratories, and practical exams
- Selected sessions in clinical courses such as Radiology and Ultrasonography
- Daily lunch discussion with topics ranging from student life to faculty advice
July 30 (Monday) to August 3 (Friday), 2018
None! The MedEd Ready program is free of charge.
The program is limited to 30 incoming first-year medical students.
If on-campus housing is needed, please check the box in the online application form AND fill out the UAMS Summer Housing Application and return it to us, via mail or fax:
Center for Diversity Affairs, UAMS
Attn: MedEd Ready, Mr. Pettus
4301 W. Markham St. #625
Little Rock, AR 72205-7199
Fax: (501) 686-7439
- Tours of the campus
- Dynamic conversations with current students during lunches
- Networking opportunities at several social events
All 174 medical students who have been accepted by the UAMS College of Medicine as the Class of 2022 are welcomed and encouraged to apply. All applications will be carefully evaluated. However, preferences will be given to the applicants who provided a compelling statement of interest and/or met one or more of the following criteria:
- First generation college student
- Non-natural science undergraduate major
- Out of school for a substantial period
- Interrupted during undergraduate study
- Having a change in professional career
- A member of an under-represented minority group
- Feeling at a disadvantage due to their educational background
- Feeling at a disadvantage due to their socioeconomic background
- A resident of a rural Arkansas community
- Able to provide a compelling statement or an alternative reason for participating in the program
Application Deadline and Acceptance Dates
The deadline to apply is June 18,2018.
All applicants will be notified via email of their status by June 29, 2018.
I would like to personally invite you to join us and your future colleagues in this 1-week program. For any questions that you might have, you are more than welcome to contact our Senior Diversity Specialist Nick Pettus at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 501-686-8952.
Dr. Billy Thomas, MD, MPH
Vice Chancellor for Diversity and Inclusion
Center for Diversity Affairs (CDA)
University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences (UAMS)
We appreciate the generous help of the Departments of Neurobiology and Developmental Sciences, Radiology, Pathology, Biochemistry, Physiology, Microbiology and Immunology, and Medical Humanities. Additional thanks go to the Academic Affairs Student Success Center.
Last update: 5/3/2018